This document provides instructions for patching your Checkbox On-Premise installation to the latest version of Checkbox 7.
Important Note: This document applies to version 7.10.0 or later. If you are using an older version, please download a newer version from your customer portal.
Requirements / Prerequisites
Please review the following BEFORE starting the patch process.
Checkbox 7 On-Premise Installation
The patch process requires a working Checkbox 7 installation.
Valid License File
Obtain a valid Checkbox 7 license file (.lic file). For trial customers, there is a 30 day license included in the trial download. For licensed Checkbox customers, please download a Checkbox 7 license from your customer portal.
Step 1. Backup your Checkbox databases.
This is a crucial step. If any errors or issues arise from this upgrade you will need to immediately revert the upgrade.
Backup your Checkbox database using a "Full" SQL backup. If you use a separate database for the Checkbox Messaging Service, you should back this up as well.
Please consult the Microsoft SQL Server documentation or talk to your database or IT administrator to perform this step.
Step 2: Unzip the Checkbox 7 files into a temporary folder
Unzip the files, but do not yet overwrite the files used by your web site or the Checkbox Service.
Step 3: Remove configuration files
Since we are performing a patch, we want to remove any configuration files for your installation.
Remove the following files from the temporary folder created in the previous step:
- In the API folder:
- The entire "configs" folder
- In the admin-app folder:
- In the take-survey folder:
- In the checkbox-service folder:
Step 4: Stop the "Checkbox Service" windows service
This can be found within the Services control panel.
Step 5: Stop IIS service OR the Checkbox web sites
You can either stop IIS on your server or stop the individual Checkbox web sites.
Step 6. Copy files from the temporary folder to your production folders
Copy the files from the temporary folder's API, Admin-App, Take-Survey, and Checkbox-Service folders into their production locations.
Note sure where these are?
- For the Checkbox Service, go to Administrative Tools -> Services. Location the Checkbox Service and open the "Properties" dialog. The "Path to executable" shows the path to the installation.
- For the IIS web sites, open IIS Manager and expand the tree to see the web sites. Right click on each site and choose "Explore" to open a view of the installation folder.
Step 7. Run the Checkbox Installer to patch your database
From the Checkbox zip file that you downloaded, run the Checkbox-Installer.exe application.
On the second screen you will be given the choice to choose the components to install.
Then click next and choose the following:
- On the Checkbox 7 Components screen, choose "Checkbox Database" and "Messaging Database" (see screenshot below) and then press Next
- Choose "Patch" for your installation type and press Next
- On the screen to select your Application URLs, press Next. You do not need to change anything on this screen since it is not applicable.
- You will then be prompted to enter the database information for both your Checkbox database and your Messaging database. If you are unsure what this information should be, edit your production Checkbox.Service.Host.exe.config and look for the section labeled "connectionStrings." The "defaultConnection" is your core Checkbox database and the "MailConnection" is your Messaging database.
- Continue to step through the installer until complete.
(screenshot of Checkbox 7 Components selection screen)
Step 8: Restart IIS / web sites and Start the Checkbox Service
It is now safe to start the Checkbox web sites and to start the Checkbox Service.
Step 9: Test your installation
The installation is complete. Test your installation and contact Checkbox Support if you encounter any issues.